Friday, August 9, 2019

August 9th

We sure covered a lot of information in class today, but I promise it won't always be this much. There is quite a bit to cover to help us set up our discussion of American History and literature, and since this is an English course with writing, I must review the basic rhetorical appeals and academic paragraphs.  From now on, we will divide our class into two main sections: history and literature. We will take a couple of short breaks in between. I'm fine if you need to bring in something to eat or drink, as long as you clean up after yourself. That said, leave the phone in your bag, unless I have you looking up information.

I'm shortening your readings this week in literature to just the narrative of Mary Rowlandson. You will still need to read up on the history assigned on your syllabus.

Here's some main things I want you to take away from our class today:


  • The differences between debates and arguments
  • the three major rhetorical appeals
  • primary versus secondary sources
  • history cannot be recreated, therefore, there are some flaws in the interpretation


You will also want to keep good notes on the lectures in class. I will quiz you most weeks on the content covered, but I will allow you to use your own notes. If you take good notes, you'll do well. If you get all of the answers correct on a quiz, I sometimes offer homework passes on the shorter writing assignments. (Not on essays)

Here's the link to Mary Rowlandson's captivity. You will need to read the first 34 pages to the best of your ability. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Second Semester Course Outline

U.S. History and American Literature Second Semester Syllabus This semester, we will write our academic paragraphs in response to our...